I have a pending felony drug charge. Can I travel to Mexico? Will I have problems when I return to the US?

West Palm Beach, FL |

I have been given no travel restrictions by the court.

1. You don't mention what kind of status you are in, but you could run into problems trying to re-enter the US if you travel.

Information provided in this answer is for general informational purpose only. Legal advice changes for each specific case, and it is impossible to give accurate advice without having a consultation and examining all relevant documents. Additionally, no attorney-client relationship is created until a consultation has taken place and an agreement between us has been met regarding terms of representation, if any.

2. If you are a green card holder, you can travel freely. Of course, if you are convicted, you will probably be placed under removal proceedings.

Please see

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation, telephonic or in-person, by an attorney experienced in immigration law. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.

3. The answer to this question will depend upon your immigration status and the exact felony you have been charged with. For example, even if you are a lawful permanent resident, if you have been charged with trafficking in a controlled substance an immigration inspector could refuse you admission to the U.S. This is because the inspector need only have reason to believe you are a drug trafficker - a conviction is not required in this instance. Consult with an immigration attorney and discuss the specifics of your case to be sure.

While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.