Skip to main content

I have a pending bench warrant in Dunn County, WI for failure to appear! OWI 3rd. I live in Texas and want to clear up. What ?

Austin, TX |

I moved to Texas in October of 2000 and was still fighting case in Wisconsin. Both our motion hearings failed. My lawyer at the time thought I should plea out30 days in jail and loss of license for 1.5 years! I wanted to fight the case because My blood was .109 and blew .09 at the scene! There was no probable cause for the stop except for a fabricated police report. My lawyer said that if I did not go back to Wisconsin, that I would forfeit my bond and they would put a warrant out for my arrest for Failure to Appear! Can't be convicted of a crime in Wisconsin unless present. It is a misdemeanor! How do I go about clearing this up? Do I have some leverage with 13 years have passed and a clean record!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You will likely need to contact an attorney to assist you in clearing up the warrant or posting bail/bond. Then your case will be re-set for an appearance and you can address what you should have addressed 13 years ago. Good luck,.

  2. I suggest dealing with this sooner rather than later. While the passage of time might help you beat the case, it's never a good idea to have a warrant hanging over your head. I suggest hiring a locally experienced DUI attorney in WI. You can use avvo to find a few and give them a call - most will offer a free consultation. Hire the one that has the best plan. Best of luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  3. You likely cannot clear this up in Dane County without personally appearing. You should contact your lawyer to arrange that if it is what you want.

    Wisconsin will not convict you without you being there, but they will keep a warrant out for you. This will likely not be enforced outside Wisconsin, but can cause you problems in other jurisdictions. You can also get a separate criminal charge of bail jumping, which has a potential penalty of 9 months jail.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics