I have a pending bench warrant in Dunn County, WI for failure to appear! OWI 3rd. I live in Texas and want to clear up. What ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I moved to Texas in October of 2000 and was still fighting case in Wisconsin. Both our motion hearings failed. My lawyer at the time thought I should plea out30 days in jail and loss of license for 1.5 years! I wanted to fight the case because My blood was .109 and blew .09 at the scene! There was no probable cause for the stop except for a fabricated police report. My lawyer said that if I did not go back to Wisconsin, that I would forfeit my bond and they would put a warrant out for my arrest for Failure to Appear! Can't be convicted of a crime in Wisconsin unless present. It is a misdemeanor! How do I go about clearing this up? Do I have some leverage with 13 years have passed and a clean record!

1. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

4

Answered . You likely cannot clear this up in Dane County without personally appearing. You should contact your lawyer to arrange that if it is what you want.

Wisconsin will not convict you without you being there, but they will keep a warrant out for you. This will likely not be enforced outside Wisconsin, but can cause you problems in other jurisdictions. You can also get a separate criminal charge of bail jumping, which has a potential penalty of 9 months jail.

2. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

2

Answered . You will likely need to contact an attorney to assist you in clearing up the warrant or posting bail/bond. Then your case will be re-set for an appearance and you can address what you should have addressed 13 years ago. Good luck,.

3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

2

Answered . I suggest dealing with this sooner rather than later. While the passage of time might help you beat the case, it's never a good idea to have a warrant hanging over your head. I suggest hiring a locally experienced DUI attorney in WI. You can use avvo to find a few and give them a call - most will offer a free consultation. Hire the one that has the best plan. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen