Skip to main content

I have a no lease week to week tenant who rents a room in my apartment he has been told to leave and he refuses

Brooklyn, NY |

Can i go to the police station and ask the police to escort him out of my apartment. This tenants yells and screams curse words and comes in drunk and doesnt pay rent he has been intimidating me he told me he knows the law and he is not moving. this tenant rents week to week theree is no written agreement or lease involved it all verbal this tenant pays cash and signs a rent book this tenant doesnt have anything from me in writing this tenant doesnt receive mail at my apartment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you are able, based upon the threats you have presented, to obtain an order of protection that excludes the tenant, that may be helpful. However, it is likely that you will have to evict the tenant through the Housing Court. You should consult with counsel.

Please be advised that this answer shall not constitute legal advice, or create an attorney-client relationship.


If you feel in danger you may contact the police.

Legally, you would have to commence an eviction proceeding against the tenant.



I am sorry to hear about your situation. You can file in landlord/tenant court to have him evicted properly. If you are threatened you should file an emergency OSC for an Order of Protection. You should also call the police.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful.

Our firm has many years of experience in this field.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
Hayley Greenberg
Greenberg & Merola, LLP
Attorneys at Law
521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
New York, NY 10175
(212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
(Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)



As always, do not construe posts as legal advice but as "attorney advertising" and you should always consult with a lawyer on any legal matter.

All of the above advice is sound. This highlights the potential problems in subleasing/roommates/sharing, etc.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer