Skip to main content

I have a misdemeanor theft charged that occured what will it reflect when an employer runs a background check.

Los Angeles, CA |

Iwas arrested for grand theft which is a felony but it was reduced to a misdemeanor i paid restitution of 2640 i have 30 days of caltrans and probation for 2 years.

I pleaded no contest

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


It may. It depends on how much the employer pays for a background check.

Best regards,

David A. Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.


Also, you can run your own background check through various services on the internet.

Herbert Tan, Esq.

The National Newark Building
744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
Newark, New Jersey 07102
(973) 735-2681 (W)
(973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(888) TAN-LAWS

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)


Request your own rap sheet from the CA DOJ

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.


The court file is a public record so the details of your case will not be hard to secure should a prospective employer run an efficient background check. Make sure you timely complete all the terms and conditions of your probation as soon as possible and, after a year, you may be able to have the matter expunged.


Assuming your case is out of LA County you can check and look it up. In addition get your RAP from DOJ. Complete your probation successfully and get the case expunged.


Your criminal record will show you were convicted of a misdemeanor and are currently on probation. Your arrest record will show you were arrested for a felony. If you successfully complete probation and did no jail time, you may be able to petition the court for your record to be expunged. Even if the court grants the request, however, it does not mean that this will go away forever. In the internet age virtually anything can be discovered online. That which can't be found online can be uncovered by a determined investigator.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer