I have a Misdemeanor case on me and my i-94 expires on very soon and I will have to leave the country.

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

I am here on B 2 Visa and I have already booked my tickets to leave USA as per the 1-94 expiry date and was prepared to leave when this misdemeanor case came on me. Will I be considered illegal to stay If I stay back to resolve the case which will surely go beyond my I-94 date?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You are not automatically entitled to remain in the United States. However, you should remain in the United States to resolve the matter. Assuming you did not enter under the visa waiver program, you should file a request to extend your status with USCIS explaining the reason you need additional time and submitting evidence verifying the pending case.

    In addition, any criminal conviction can have serious repercussions on your ability to enter the United States in the future. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney prior to accepting any plea offer.

  2. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Mr. Segal is correct. Extend your stay and take care of the criminal matter.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. Kevin Michael Crabtree

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . File an I-539 application to extend your stay.


  4. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must file for extension and prove the reason for it, i.e. pending criminal matter.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,180 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,180 answers this week

2,221 attorneys answering