I have a mediation appointment. What do I need to prepare for the appointment? Both parties are in pro per.

Asked over 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have been married over 25 years. My husband filed for divorce. Court ordered a mediator. We are both in pro per.

1. Nadine Marie Jett

Best Answer

Answered . Things helpfu and needed for Mediation are as follows:
    A current Income and Expense Declaration, Property declarations, Schedule of Assets and Debts. All attachments to the Property Declarations (statements from Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Kelly Blue book on all vehicles, Retirement Statements as well as 401k or IRA statements, Appraisal on the house if that is an issue. A brief outlining what you want, and what you believe the other person wants regarding every item you are fighting about, or that you agree on.
    The self help center on the 4th floor at 111 North Hill Street, Los Angeles, can help you prepare some of these forms if you have not already done so.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

2. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . A mediation is an informal attempt to settle outstanding issues before (or instead of) trial. You should be prepared on all issues, as if this was a trial.

Start by making a list of all outstanding issues. Then get a guide "how to" guide, like the one linked below, and review it so you know what the procedures are for a pro per litigant and what the forms look like.

With the neutral mediator and the guide, you should be able to finalize your divorce.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Tamara Shari Benefield

Answered . In the Los Angeles, Mediation is required before the Court enters orders regarding children, and it is confidential.

If this is a mediation appointment on property issues, before mediation you should file and provide a copy of the following documents to the mediator: FL-150, and Income and Expense Declaration, and be sure to assemble all information you have on all assets and debts (bank statements, transaction journals, check books etc.) You should file out a schedule of assets and debts and be sure to include all assets regardless of whose name is on title.

If you either of you have pension plans or retirement benefits you should hire an attorney to "Join" the plan into the divorce case so that the Court can award you half of the benefits.

You may consider requesting "Spousal Support" if you meet any of Family Code 4320 Factors.

You should consult with an Attorney of your choice immediately.