I have a Master Hearing with Immigration court scheduled in 1 and half years. Is it too early to retain an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Stockton, CA

Considering in the Notice to Appear (NTA), they have 3 counts of crime of moral turpitude. I have spoken to an attorney before the case was filed with the immigration court and they couldn't do much since it's not filed, Now that it's filed with the cour and a Master hearing is set, should I retain an attorney now or is it too early since it is 1 and half year away? What can my attorney if I retain their services? What can I do while I wait? Thank you.

I have already consulted with an attorney when I received the NTA and was informed that I may qualify for cancellation of removal due to my ties in the U.S, married to a US citizen and have kids /family in the US. I don't think the case is consider aggravated felony so the judge may have discretion. From your answers, I will retain an attorney to go over the possible reliefs again. I'm just not sure at what level we can iron things out well advance of over 1 year before hearing.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

1

Answered . You should hire an experienced attorney immediately to see if you have any defense to deportation.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . It is never too early.

3. Christian Schmidt

1

Answered . Consulting with an attorney will allow for a determination of possible relief if available unless you are not curious what the future may hold for you.

4. Dean P Murray

1

Answered . Speak to an immigratoin attorney now. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700