I have a Master Hearing with Immigration court scheduled in 1 and half years. Is it too early to retain an attorney?

Stockton, CA |

Considering in the Notice to Appear (NTA), they have 3 counts of crime of moral turpitude. I have spoken to an attorney before the case was filed with the immigration court and they couldn't do much since it's not filed, Now that it's filed with the cour and a Master hearing is set, should I retain an attorney now or is it too early since it is 1 and half year away? What can my attorney if I retain their services? What can I do while I wait? Thank you.

I have already consulted with an attorney when I received the NTA and was informed that I may qualify for cancellation of removal due to my ties in the U.S, married to a US citizen and have kids /family in the US. I don't think the case is consider aggravated felony so the judge may have discretion. From your answers, I will retain an attorney to go over the possible reliefs again. I'm just not sure at what level we can iron things out well advance of over 1 year before hearing.

You should hire an experienced attorney immediately to see if you have any defense to deportation.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Consulting with an attorney will allow for a determination of possible relief if available unless you are not curious what the future may hold for you.

Speak to an immigratoin attorney now. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

It is never too early.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Recommended articles about Immigration