I have a marriage based adjustment of status interview in 3 weeks. will my husband and i be able to travel???

green card interview in 3 weeks, we planned a domestic trip the day after the interview. i came to the us as a child, and have no "valid" id, except for my passport (which has a picture of a 6 years old girl). i recently got it stamped valid, but they did not change the picture to a more recent one. i heard about a i-551 stamp? how do i request one from the interviewing officer? and also what will be my chances of getting through tsa with or without that stamp?

00901 -

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

that stamp, assuming your case will be granted by the officer at the interview, which is not a fact at all, would offer no help to you in domestic travel situation. You need to contact the consulate and ask them to create an ID page in your passport with updated picture or issue you a new passport. If you do not do that, you will need to wait until you actually get your GC to travel. BTW, a DL from any state would be sufficient to travel domestically.

Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Immigration Attorney - Atlanta, GA

I agree. Very unlikely that TSA would let you through security at the airport with a passport showing a child's picture. They would have no way of verifying it's really you. I'd strongly recommend getting an updated passport.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

I agree with my colleagues and add that your ability to travel also depends on what happens at the interview, whether you have advance parole, and whether you have accrued unlawful presence.