Skip to main content

I have a marriage based adjustment of status interview in 3 weeks. will my husband and i be able to travel???

00901 |

green card interview in 3 weeks, we planned a domestic trip the day after the interview. i came to the us as a child, and have no "valid" id, except for my passport (which has a picture of a 6 years old girl). i recently got it stamped valid, but they did not change the picture to a more recent one. i heard about a i-551 stamp? how do i request one from the interviewing officer? and also what will be my chances of getting through tsa with or without that stamp?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    that stamp, assuming your case will be granted by the officer at the interview, which is not a fact at all, would offer no help to you in domestic travel situation. You need to contact the consulate and ask them to create an ID page in your passport with updated picture or issue you a new passport. If you do not do that, you will need to wait until you actually get your GC to travel. BTW, a DL from any state would be sufficient to travel domestically.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. I agree. Very unlikely that TSA would let you through security at the airport with a passport showing a child's picture. They would have no way of verifying it's really you. I'd strongly recommend getting an updated passport.

    [This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

  3. I agree with my colleagues and add that your ability to travel also depends on what happens at the interview, whether you have advance parole, and whether you have accrued unlawful presence.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics