I have a limited conservatorship for my daughter. What forms do I use to ask the court for permission to handle her care needs

Santa Rosa, CA |

through my business (with regional centers approval)?

Your question does not state what type of limited conservatorship you have for your daughter. You may have limited powers as to the person or for the estate. If you have limited power for the person you already have specific authority to handle her care needs as spelled out in the court's order. If you want to amend the powers to add areas of care then you should consult an attorney for the proper procedure and forms. If it is an emergency (imminant danger of irreperable harm) then you certainly need an attorney to appear before the court on an ex parte application for immediate attention to the need.
If you have limited powers for the estate (financial matters) then you are starting "from scratch." You need to either petition the court to give you limited (very specific) powers for your daughter's care or ask for a full conservatorship of the person.
In either case, it is recommended that you consult with an attorney familiar with conservatorships to guide you through the procedural and paper maze. If you cannot afford a lawer you should consult with your county's legal aid society or a local law schools legal clinic. If you can afford a lawyer you may want to call your county bar association for a referral.

Nothing contained in the information on this web site is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases and readers are responsible for obtaining such advice from their own legal counsel. This web site is intended for educational purposes only. Michael R. Weinstein, is licensed to practice only before the courts of the State of California, and is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Central District and the United States Cou rt of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit. No information contained herein is to be considered applicable to legal matters in domestic or foreign jurisdictions outside of the State of California.

It would help to know what kind of conservatorship you have. Is it of her "estate" or her "personal care"? The body or the money? The Court in Sonoma County has all the guardianship forms at their web site as does the California Courts web site but you should at least talk to an attorney to be sure you are taking the proper steps or you may be wasting time. You may really need to have a full conservatorship but based on the scant facts listed, it is hard to say more or add more than already well stated above.

Use the to find an attorney in your area. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody