I have a limited conservatorship for my daughter. What forms do I use to ask the court for permission to handle her care needs

Asked over 3 years ago - Santa Rosa, CA

through my business (with regional centers approval)?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Robert Weinstein


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Your question does not state what type of limited conservatorship you have for your daughter. You may have limited powers as to the person or for the estate. If you have limited power for the person you already have specific authority to handle her care needs as spelled out in the court's order. If you want to amend the powers to add areas of care then you should consult an attorney for the proper procedure and forms. If it is an emergency (imminant danger of irreperable harm) then you certainly need an attorney to appear before the court on an ex parte application for immediate attention to the need.
    If you have limited powers for the estate (financial matters) then you are starting "from scratch." You need to either petition the court to give you limited (very specific) powers for your daughter's care or ask for a full conservatorship of the person.
    In either case, it is recommended that you consult with an attorney familiar with conservatorships to guide you through the procedural and paper maze. If you cannot afford a lawer you should consult with your county's legal aid society or a local law schools legal clinic. If you can afford a lawyer you may want to call your county bar association for a referral.

    Nothing contained in the information on this web site is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for... more
  2. Eliz C A Johnson

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . It would help to know what kind of conservatorship you have. Is it of her "estate" or her "personal care"? The body or the money? The Court in Sonoma County has all the guardianship forms at their web site as does the California Courts web site but you should at least talk to an attorney to be sure you are taking the proper steps or you may be wasting time. You may really need to have a full conservatorship but based on the scant facts listed, it is hard to say more or add more than already well stated above.

    Use the AVVO.com to find an attorney in your area. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,472 answers this week

3,070 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,472 answers this week

3,070 attorneys answering