I have a lawsuit that was filed (discrimination, disability) but never litigated. It is killing my chances of getting a job.

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Island City, NY

If I incorporate and work for a co as a corp (vs an individual) either on an employee (if possible) or contractor (possible) basis, will that make the corp more comfortable that I will not sue them, too? Unlikely to get docket sealed even tho it's a closed case. Advise? My life has been ruined by my fmr attorney who coerced me to file.

1. Vincent Peter White

6

1

Answered . I have not seen many clients have difficulty obtaining work simply because they pursued their claims in Federal Court. You may have a potential failure to hire claim, but we cannot be certain from the facts provided so contact an experienced employment attorney.

2. Morton Harrison Fry

5

1

Answered . "killing my chances of getting a job..".

It may be -- or may not be-- the case. Has a prospective employer told you that orally or in writing (unlikely)? One problem with all discriminatory practice is finding/getting "evidence", particularly difficult regarding the application process. If they did give you "smoking gun" evidence, that might give rise to an EEOC claim since the EEOC claims/believes the "retaliation" that is prohibited under its laws include pre-employment "retaliation". But, that said, another filing/action doesn't get you the job, in all probability. Further, a senior attorney at the State's Human Rights office (state equivalent of Federal EEOC) informs me that he doesn't believe there is a law or procedure that will assist you based on facts you relate, unfortunately.

As a practical matter, you'll probably have to live with it. Send in your resume to prospective employers and if your get an interview, explain in a way that makes you seem non-litigious, Ii.e., "lawyer wanted to, I withdrew, I just want to work".

"incorporate and work for a co as a corp..."

Becoming an independent contractor (1099 vrs W-2) may help in some situations, but if a employer is looking for employees, that's is normally what they're looking for, so becoming an entity doesn't seem to be a practical solution to the underlying problem you believe exists.

The above comment is intended as practical comment, and is a general AVVO response and not "attorney client advice", since I'm not "engaged" by you (as your lawyer).

3. Charles Shinkle Watson

5

1

Answered . I know this is easy for me to say, but have you thought about whether you would want to work for a company that wont even talk to you about the suit?

That being said, a company cannot employ another company as an employee. You may get on as an independent contractor, but that can be a hard row to hoe (Midwesternism). But almost all companies are still going to look at YOUR background.

Are you sure the lawsuit is what is causing your problems? You may want to speak to a good placement service and investigate.

Good luck!

4. Constantine D. Buzunis

4

Answered . Well you can also see if the other side will agree to waive any attorney fees and costs and if so, dismiss your case? You can also state your case if it comes up in an interview? Maybe your failure to find work is related to other issues than your lawsuit? Why don't you seek out an employment counsellor or employment professional for some advice?