I have a large inheritance and I am worried about my Wife taking a portion of it in our divorce.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

I was served papers and have only a couple days to respond. I need a great divorce attorney to help me. I want someone aggressive who won't back down. My wife is trying to destroy me and take all my money. I want to make her miserable.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this, both counsel are outstanding attorneys. My understanding of your states inheritance and marital estate laws is that your inheritance would not be considered part of your marital estate so that is one less worry you have. Take care and hire a good collaboritive lawyer who won't make things worse or cost you a ton of money.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Michael Charles McGinn


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Well your inheritance would be consider a nonmarital asset so your Wife would not be entitled to any portion. While I understand your anger and frustration the goal of a divorce shouldn't be to detstroy someone or make them miserable. If you would like you may contact my office for a free initial consultation by contacting 813-374-0353.

  3. Jonathan Hackworth


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My firm handles divorce proceedings in Tampa and offers free case consultations. We would certainly litigate the matter aggressively and ethically. Our office line is 813-830-2261. We look forward to working with you.

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney... more
  4. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . An inheritance to you only is not a marital asset and is yours (although she could use it as a source to claim alimony). Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

  5. Joseph Julius Registrato

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Whether your wife will have a claim on the inheritance will depend on how you have handled it, what you've done with it, how the money has been designated, in whose name and what it has been used for. You are smart to look for an attorney, although if I hear one more lawyer call himself or herself "aggressive" I think I'll scream, won't you? In my personal opinion, I'd take "smart" over "aggressive" any day. Shop around and see who you communicate well with, that's the best answer.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Inheritance and Divorce: Divide or Keep?

If you are seeking to retain possession of an inheritance during a divorce, certain rules apply for whether you can keep the entire amount.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,252 answers this week

3,070 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,252 answers this week

3,070 attorneys answering