Skip to main content

I have a kid with a guy who has mental illnesses and his mother is his legal guardian how can I get his parental rights

Glenwood, MN |

he lives with his parents he gets disability doesn't pay child support doesn't really try to see her or help support her. he has sever anger and depression issues he is 19 with the mind set of a 13 year old

Attorney Answers 2


Hello. Please contact a private attorney who will be happy to help you with this. If you live in a somewhat remote area, know that any Minnesota licensed attorney may assist you. The attorney will want to know what legal paperwork, if any, exists. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Twin Cites. Call 612-296-9666 for a consultation: CHILD CUSOTYD & PARENTING TIME Law, PARENTING TIME EXPEDITOR, CHILD SUPPORT Law, FAMILY Law, FAMILY LAW MEDIATOR, DIVORCE Law, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Assoc. PLLC

Mark as helpful


I assume you're asking how to terminate his parental rights. If he agrees and you have a someone else who is willing to adopt, that would be the easiest. If he objects and/or there is no one to take his place as father, it will be significantly more difficult.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics