I have a judgment against me for a car loan and i am thinking of filing ch. 7 BK

Asked over 2 years ago - Chino, CA

I took out a title loan on my car. Instead of repossessing my car, which they said they were going to do per the contract when I fell behind, they sued me and because I didn't answer, I know have a default judgment against me. Can I file Ch. & bankruptcy and discharge it? I am really scared that they are going to garnish my wages

1. Walter C Oney Jr

4

Answered . If these are the only facts, I would think the judgment is dischargeable. Don't go it alone -- hire an attorney. Not all states allow title loans. Your lawyer will know if your state is one of them, in which case you might even be able to get rid of the lien and the debt without filing for bankruptcy at all.

2. Fabian Powell

3

Answered . What did you do with the loan proceeds? In order to answer your question, I need to know if you owe that creditor any money on the car?

3. Steven Anderson Leahy

Pro

3

Answered . Generally, absent fraud, judgments are dischargeable in bankruptcy. The creditor still has a secured claim on your car, and can still repossess.

I hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy
    www.chicagotaxteam.com