Skip to main content

I have a judgment. How can I earn money that is judgment proof?

Dallas, TX |

The City of Dallas obtained a judgment against me in 2004 in the amount of $700, 000.00 with interest each year of more than $25,000.00. I am 72 years old and my wife is 69 years old. We have retirement income of $36,000.00 per year from the city of Dallas and social security. I would like to relocate and earn some money not subject to the judgment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I would suggest a chapter 7 bankruptcy if you are carrying that large of a judgment. Lots of good attorney in Dallas. judgment is good for 10 years and then it must be renewed, if they have not abstracted the judgment, you may want to wait for it to expire since you may be close to the this event.


you can also file chapter 13 (wage earner plan) where you repay debts at a Court determined rate, based upon your income and expenses.


First off, you should be keeping your social security money in a separate account. Social security money is 100% exempt from creditors except for the federal government; often the issue is proving that it is social security money. If you have a separate account for social security only, it becomes a lot easier to prove that the money is exempt.

If you are interested in bankruptcy as a possible solution, please let me know.

The information provided in this post is not "legal advice." Rather it is general information on common legal issues. If you have questions concerning your specific situation, it is always best to consult an attorney in your area.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer