I have a judgement filed against me. i only own a 8 year old car and receive s.s and 135. snaps. can they take my car?

Baytown, TX |

i have a judgement filed against me. i only own a 8 year old car and receive s.s and 135. snaps. can they take my car?

1. no

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit http://www.sainjurylawyer.com or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit http://www.giardinolawfirm.com. Good luck!

2. Keep in mind that Texas is an extremely debtor friendly state. Nobody gets your house except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your car except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your wages except the IRS, certain student loans, and child support. Nobody gets your Social Security benefits, pension/retirement/401k/IRA except the IRS. Your personal property up to $35,000 is also exempt from collection efforts. Most people don't have any thing more than that, so there is nothing to get to satisfy a judgment. HOWEVER, a judgment is good for 10 years and can be renewed. Also, the judgment is accruing interest and is being reported to the credit bureaus. The creditor is hoping that one day you will have some money saved for a large credit-based purchase (car or house). When you apply for that loan, the judgment creditor will learn you have cash and will then try again to get you to pay.

This comment is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.