I have a judgement filed against me. i only own a 8 year old car and receive s.s and 135. snaps. can they take my car?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baytown, TX

i have a judgement filed against me. i only own a 8 year old car and receive s.s and 135. snaps. can they take my car?

1. Carmine John Giardino

1

Answered . no

2. Lu Ann Trevino

Pro

Answered . Keep in mind that Texas is an extremely debtor friendly state. Nobody gets your house except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your car except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your wages except the IRS, certain student loans, and child support. Nobody gets your Social Security benefits, pension/retirement/401k/IRA except the IRS. Your personal property up to $35,000 is also exempt from collection efforts. Most people don't have any thing more than that, so there is nothing to get to satisfy a judgment. HOWEVER, a judgment is good for 10 years and can be renewed. Also, the judgment is accruing interest and is being reported to the credit bureaus. The creditor is hoping that one day you will have some money saved for a large credit-based purchase (car or house). When you apply for that loan, the judgment creditor will learn you have cash and will then try again to get you to pay.

This comment is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now