I have a judgement against my tenants and have also filed to move it to a civil case. How do I file for a lien?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Everett, WA

I wanted to put a lien on my tenants but that court says I have to get attorney to do it. Isn't there another way to get my tenants pay what they owed me?

1. Answered . Recording the judgment lien will perfect the lien as to real property only. A lien against personal property only attaches from the date of levy against the property. RCW 4.56.190. Recording the judgment won't give you a lien against personal property. You have to levy against the property by execution or garnishment. If one of the tenants has a steady job, a wage garnishment may be the easiest and least expensive way to collect. You should have an attorney assist you with collection of your judgment.

2. Answered . You file a lien by recording your judgment with the county recorder. It's a pretty simple thing to do in most states.

But what do your tenants own that would be worth getting a lien against? If there property interests are all exempt under state laws, you have just put out money on recording fees to get what - nothing!

Check state law for more information on exemptions in your state. Most states post the laws on the state website.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Answered . Collecting is very difficult. Hire an attorney.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now