I have a judgement against my ex for child support. The amount due has accumulated over the past 5 years or so. Our child is 8

yrs old. What are the BEST collection techniques I can use? He works, and he says that his employer pays him cash. He works for a law firm. Can I affect the drivers license as in a small claims case? Submit to DA? Order to appear to his employer and answer questions under oath? I need to pay rent and support for my girl, and he is no help, but does have income.

Orange, CA -

Attorney Answers (3)

Rebekah Ryan Main

Rebekah Ryan Main

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Not paying child support can have very serious consequences.
If the court finds that someone has the ability to pay support but is willfully not paying it, it can find that the person ordered to pay support is in contempt of court. This enforcement tool is generally used only when all others have failed since it can result in jail time for the person who is not paying.
If a parent is late or fails to pay court ordered support payments, the county Local Child Support Agency can do one or more of these to collect support:
• Credit reporting: not paying child support on time can affect a person’s credit rating. The county Local Child Support Agency will report each child support payment to major credit reporting agencies. They also report the failure to pay child support.
• Passport Denial: anytime a person owes more than $5,000 in past due child support, the U.S. State Department will not issue or renew a passport until all past due support payments (also called “arrears”) are paid. If your passport application is denied, you will have to make arrangements with the Department of Child Support to make your child support current before traveling outside the United States.
• Property liens: LCSA will file a lien against the real property (like a house or land) of a parent who owes past due support. When the property is sold, past due support may be paid out of the proceeds for the property.
• Suspending licenses: LCSA can request that permanent, state-issued licensed be suspended or withheld to collect past due child support. The State Licensing Match System is used to match parents who owe child support with business, professional, and driver’s licenses. These licenses include cosmetologists, contractors, doctors, teachers, lawyers, and more.
• Franchise Tax Board Child Support Collection Program: the county Local Child Support Agency must let the Franchise Tax Board know anytime a person is more than $100 and 60 days past due in paying support. The Franchise Tax Board can take funds from bank accounts, rental incomes, royalties, dividends, and commissions. The Franchise Tax Board can also issue an Earnings Withholding Order and take real and personal property, such as vacant land, cash, safe deposit boxes, vehicles, and even boats, to collect child support.
• Income tax intercepts: The Internal Revenue Service and the Franchise Tax Board can also intercept tax refunds to pay past due child support.
• Financial Institution Data Match: many banks, savings and loan institutions, and credit unions in California and the United States report the assets they hold. These assets can be taken for payment of current and past due child support.
• Disability Insurance Benefit Intercept System: LCSA can take part of state disability payments owed to parents who owe child support to pay both current and past due child support.
• Unemployment Insurance Benefit Intercept System: part of state unemployment benefit payments due to the noncustodial parent can be taken to pay both current and past due child support.
• Worker’s compensation appeals board match system: lump sum workers’ compensation awards can be taken to pay past due child support.
• Lottery intercept: lottery winnings can be taken to pay both current and past due child support.
An attorney can help.

Best of luck to you.

Attorney Rebekah Ryan Main

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer or select it as Best Answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges. We can be visited on the web at www.Main-Law.com or call 909-891-0906.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not... more
Sponsored Listing
Shawn Michael Haggerty

Shawn Michael Haggerty

Family Law Attorney - Hacienda Heights, CA

Submit to the DA, file an OSC. Get an attorney.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

Family Law Attorney - San Juan Capistrano, CA

The "BEST" collection technique is to levy on his bank account. This freezes the account. It SERIOUSLY get their attention. it REALLY gets their attention.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by... more
Sponsored Listing

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.