I have a judgement against an LLC. I named both the company and owner. The LLC has filed bankruptcy. Is the owner still liable.

Asked over 4 years ago - Dover, PA

When I filed in Pa. I named the owner and the LLC. A judgement was awarded to me. Two seperate documents where sent to me one naming the company finding in my favor and one naming the owner finding in my favor. Now the LLC has filed bankruptcy. Is the owner still on the hook for the judgement?

1. Alexander Duie Pyle Latta

Answered . Based on the information in your question, it sounds like you have a judgment against the individual who owns the company, for which he would still be liable, even if the LLC files for bankruptcy. That said, you should make sure that the individual hasn't filed bankruptcy too.

2. Jeffrey Daniel Larkin

Answered . Yes, unless he has filed an individual bankruptcy.

Mr. Larkin is licensed to practice law in CA and is located in San Diego. His response here does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Larkin strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about the specifics of their case.

3. Kaiser Wahab

Answered . Generally speaking, if there is nothing done on the part of the individual to undermine the judgment, the judgment should be still binding against him/her. However, you should understand that while a bankruptcy in the name of hte company should only run to the company, bankrupcty can cutoff active lawsuits and judgments. Hence, you should act quickly to enforce the jugment against the owner, before he/she seeks bankruptcy.

I hope this helps and good luck with your venture.

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute general or specific legal advice, nor create an attorney client relationship.