I have a job and im paying my child support but can the state take my student loans?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

No.background

1. Theresa Cay Langford

1

Answered . Initially, your question raises the question of why would you be concerned if you are current on child support. Secondly, I don't know the details - but have never heard of student financial aid being garnished for child support - and would believe that it is prohibited.

2. Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Pro

Answered . I do not believe you can garnish student loans. If you believe you are paying too much child support, then you can file with the court to reduce your support amount. If you are in arrears, you can also request that you pay an additional amount that addresses the arrears. Your tax returns may be garnished to pay arrears. FYI.