Skip to main content

I have a J1 visa and my wife has a TN1 visa. She wishes to teach fitness part time, can she get a J2 and still keep her TN1?

Plainsboro, NJ |

My wife is trying to figure out if she can get a job teaching fitness classes. We have been told that the TN1 visa is only good for the specific sponsor company. I am in the US with a J1 as a research scholar and she is working for a consulting company on a TN1. We are both Canadian Citizens

Attorney Answers 3


No. One can only have one status at a time.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Unfortunately, no.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Short answer: no.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics