I have a j1 visa and my agency will send me home after 2weeks if I dnt rematch with another family,can I quite the programme?

Asked about 2 years ago - Park City, UT

I have a j1 visa and my host family can't afford me anymore and my agency will send me home after 2weeks if I dnt rematch,but I don't even have enough money for my flight.can I quite the programme while staying with current family and get a student visa?can my boyfriend help me to stay?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on whether you are subject to the two-year home residency requirement.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Robert Henry Beer

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Aas I remember, au pairs are subject to the 2 tear foreign residency requirement. As such, I do not believe that they can change status. Your boyfriend might be able to assist depending on the circumstances of the relationship BUT you cannot adjust status UNTIL you FIRST obtain a waiver of the two year foreign residency requirement or return home for 2 tears. Maybe you can return home for 2 years ad have your boyfriend file a Petition for Alien Relative ("I-129F") on your behalf after you have met your requirement. From my experience, your situation often happens with au pairs.You would be wise, a minimum, to seek my legal advice of that of one of my esteemed colleagues. You are NOT going to get your answer here. Each case is very CASE SPECIFIC.. I can be reached at either (770)955-785 or via e-mail at bob@bobeer.com. Hope this helps. Wishing you well. THINK IMMIGRATION - TIME BOB BEER.

    This communication does not create an attorney client relationship. If I can be of further assistance, please feel... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,820 answers this week

2,889 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,820 answers this week

2,889 attorneys answering