I have a j1 visa and my agency will send me home after 2weeks if I dnt rematch with another family,can I quite the programme?

Park City, UT |
Filed under: J-1 student visa

I have a j1 visa and my host family can't afford me anymore and my agency will send me home after 2weeks if I dnt rematch,but I don't even have enough money for my flight.can I quite the programme while staying with current family and get a student visa?can my boyfriend help me to stay?

1. Aas I remember, au pairs are subject to the 2 tear foreign residency requirement. As such, I do not believe that they can change status. Your boyfriend might be able to assist depending on the circumstances of the relationship BUT you cannot adjust status UNTIL you FIRST obtain a waiver of the two year foreign residency requirement or return home for 2 tears. Maybe you can return home for 2 years ad have your boyfriend file a Petition for Alien Relative ("I-129F") on your behalf after you have met your requirement. From my experience, your situation often happens with au pairs.You would be wise, a minimum, to seek my legal advice of that of one of my esteemed colleagues. You are NOT going to get your answer here. Each case is very CASE SPECIFIC.. I can be reached at either (770)955-785 or via e-mail at bob@bobeer.com. Hope this helps. Wishing you well. THINK IMMIGRATION - TIME BOB BEER.

This communication does not create an attorney client relationship. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at any time at either (770)955-1785 or (678)576-9394 or via e-mail at bob@bobbeer.com. THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER

2. It depends on whether you are subject to the two-year home residency requirement.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.