I Have a huge doubt. I am suposed to get married in 2 months here in Mexico. i have dual citizenship (mexican/american)...

Chicago, IL |

i Have a huge doubt. I am suposed to get married in 2 months here in Mexico. i have dual citizenship (mexican/american). And i´m to be married a Mexican. We both wnat to reside in the USA. The thing is that when i filed the documents to do so, turns out i need an apostille from my american birth certificade. So now, i won´t have enough time to go back to the states to get that so i don´t know if its possible to get married as mexican and still be able to apply for my fiancé´s green card, or do i need to get married again in the states as American? Or is it Illegal to marry twice with the same person? Please help me. Time is short and the whole party is already planned!!!

1. It sounds like your concern is that the marriage certificate will say that you are Mexican. As long as the marriage is valid under Mexican law and as long as you can provide evidence of your US citizenship when you apply for your spouse I don't think it will be an issue. You should be aware that it could cause some confusion at USCIS, though, and be sure to document the issue clearly at the time that you apply. Good luck, and congratulations!

The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

2. Don't worry! You can go ahead and marry in Mexico. The U.S. recognizes a valid Mexican marriage if you can prove it with the appropriate marriage certificate. As a U.S. citizen, as long as you have acceptable proof later on, you should be able to apply for your fiancé's green card, regardless of where your marriage took place. It is at the point that you file for him that you will need proof of U.S. citizenship to establish the petition, not at the point of marriage. Good luck!

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

3. Your valid Mexican marriage will have the same legal recognition as it you were married stateside and should be sufficient for any AOS purposes.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

4. You do not need to marry twice. Enjoy the wedding. Then, don't forget to contact a lawyer for your immigration paper filings.

Best Regards,
    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.