I Have a huge doubt. I am suposed to get married in 2 months here in Mexico. i have dual citizenship (mexican/american)...

Asked 9 months ago - Chicago, IL

i Have a huge doubt. I am suposed to get married in 2 months here in Mexico. i have dual citizenship (mexican/american). And i´m to be married a Mexican. We both wnat to reside in the USA. The thing is that when i filed the documents to do so, turns out i need an apostille from my american birth certificade. So now, i won´t have enough time to go back to the states to get that so i don´t know if its possible to get married as mexican and still be able to apply for my fiancé´s green card, or do i need to get married again in the states as American? Or is it Illegal to marry twice with the same person? Please help me. Time is short and the whole party is already planned!!!

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

4

Answered . It sounds like your concern is that the marriage certificate will say that you are Mexican. As long as the marriage is valid under Mexican law and as long as you can provide evidence of your US citizenship when you apply for your spouse I don't think it will be an issue. You should be aware that it could cause some confusion at USCIS, though, and be sure to document the issue clearly at the time that you apply. Good luck, and congratulations!

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . Your valid Mexican marriage will have the same legal recognition as it you were married stateside and should be sufficient for any AOS purposes.

3. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

2

Answered . You do not need to marry twice. Enjoy the wedding. Then, don't forget to contact a lawyer for your immigration paper filings.

Best Regards,
    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

3

Answered . Don't worry! You can go ahead and marry in Mexico. The U.S. recognizes a valid Mexican marriage if you can prove it with the appropriate marriage certificate. As a U.S. citizen, as long as you have acceptable proof later on, you should be able to apply for your fiancé's green card, regardless of where your marriage took place. It is at the point that you file for him that you will need proof of U.S. citizenship to establish the petition, not at the point of marriage. Good luck!