I have a homestead declared on my house and the adjacent lot. A collection agency put a lien on the lot. Can they take it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Becket, MA

A law firm got a judgement against me on a debt. They put a lien on one of my adjacent lots then sold the account to another law firm who is taking me to court for collection. I have a homestead declaration on both lots (the driveway spans both). The homestead was in place when the lien was allowed. Was that legal? Can they take the lot? If not, what will they try to do next?

1. Erik Hammarlund

3

Answered . You can homestead your residence; if the lot is legally part of your residence (through deed or merger) then it is covered by homestead. The attachment may be null and void unless it is written properly. However, depending on the ownership status and history of the lot, you may not have the lot covered in the homestead.

The lien may not affect you unless you need to refinance or sell, or unless they attempt to proceed against the property. (If so, you'll need to remove it through legal action.) You should hire a lawyer to look at the documents and explain your situation.

2. Julie Court Molloy

1

Answered . If title to you for both lots was conveyed to you in one deed, or the lost were conveyed to you separately, but in the exact same name in both deeds, your homestead declaration should protect you. Under the law, currently, every Massachusetts home-owner automatically has a homestead up to the value of $125,000.00 in equity (which is fair market value - any mortgage = equity) in the home, even without recoring a homestead. With a homestead recorded, up to $500,000.00 in equity (see above) is protected. Creditors can obtain and record an execution (a lien) on the property, but canNOT force you to sell to satisfy the lien, best they can hope is that you refinance, and your lender requires you to pay them off -- and even then, everything is negotiable.

Good luck!

3. Daniel Dufresne

1

Answered . I added "Liens in Bankruptcy" to the practice areas because it sounds like the wolves may be circling and you might benefit from a free consult with one of the excellent bankruptcy lawyers in Western Mass. Based on the information provided, I think there is a good chance the adjacent lot would be considered part of your protected homestead, but you need to nail that down by consulting an experienced attorney in your area.

Massachusetts has one of the best homestead laws in the country. In fact, you don't even need to record a homestead to get automatic homestead protection. Elderly and disabled persons get even more favorable protection. But unfortunately, homestead protection doesn't prevent a collections firm that knows what it's doing from recording a good judgment lien against your home. This is the part where a lot of people get confused about homestead protection, though. If you've got $500,000 homestead protection, there is a good chance that, for people with average homes, no one will be able to sell your home out from under you to satisfy a debt or judgment.

If the creditor is patient (which most are not), they can let the judgment lien stand for years until you go to sell or refi -- or you move and another property becomes your new "homestead." Usually, as another attorney mentioned, creditors can find other unpleasant ways, like wage garnishment, to try and get your money or property to satisfy a judgment.

The law of real property attachments, liens, and homestead is tricky and highly technical -- even for lawyers. I would strongly advise against trying to defend yourself and your home from determined collections attorneys without an experienced lawyer. Good luck.

4. Robert S. Simonian

Pro

Answered . You should check to see if the lot is on the same deed as your residence. You can only declare a homestead on your property that is your residence. If there are 2 separate deeds (one for each property) then your homestead will not protect the lot. Usually, the only time it becomes a concern if when you refinance, re-mortgage, sell, transfer, etc. the property. Usually at that time the lien has to be paid or otherwise dealt with. Remember it can sometimes be negotiated. Also, remember that in bankruptcy (if the lien is attached to your residence) you can "avoid" the lien and remove it from attachment on your property.

5. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . Typically, a homestead only protects property from being forcibly sold by a judgment creditor. A judgment creditor is allowed to place a lien on the property and the lien must get paid when the property is sold or refinanced.

Creditors with court judgments have many methods at their disposal to collect. They are often allowed to garnish wages, attach bank accounts and seize other property that isn't protected under state laws called exemptions. I am posting a link to a general description of the exemption laws in all 50 states for you to review. Hope this perspective helps!