I have a holdover tenant who has not paid rent for June or July. I want to evict her, however, I also want to get back rent.

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

Do I need to file an unlawful detainer action to evict and a small claims to recover back rent, or can I recover back rent in the UD. She was served with a 3-Day Notice to Pay in June.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel Kevin Gentile

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can actually recover past due rent and rent which becomes due through the date of the trial of the eviction action.

  2. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the previous answers but would add a word of caution when handling UD's yourself. The system favors the tenant and any mistake on your part will delay the process. In addition, if the tenant moves out prior to the trial date, the case will either be dismissed or transferred to small claims or regular civil.

    Good luck

    Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.... more
  3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It all gets handled in the UD case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,671 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,671 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering