I have a hearing for criminal court for a probation violation on Wednesday. Will I go to jail then, or can i get an attorney?

This is Bucks County, Pa.

Doylestown, PA -

Adam D. Zucker

Adam D. Zucker

Criminal Defense Attorney - Conshohocken, PA

If you are found in violation you very well could be incarcerated immedialty after the hearing. However it is impossible to say what will happen with certainty, without knowing what you were on probation for and what action or inaction constituted the violation. It is critical that you get an attorney as soon as possible. If you are unable to get one by Wednsday then it is possible for you to ask the judge for a continuance but he or she will want to know what you have done to retain an attorney since you received notice of the hearing.

Robert Amadeo Mancini

Robert Amadeo Mancini

Criminal Defense Attorney - Doylestown, PA

They may decide to incarcerate right there depending on the violations.

Charles Anthony Rick

Charles Anthony Rick

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Pottstown, PA

Depending on the violation, the judge could incarcerate you right on the spot. Be prepared and take a lawyer with you.

Eric D. Strand

Eric D. Strand

Criminal Defense Attorney - West Chester, PA

In addition to the above, it is important to know and understand whether you have a Level I or Level II hearing scheduled (also called Gagnon I or Gagnon II hearing, based on one of the court cased in which the Supreme Court addressed required procedures for VOP cases). At a Gagnon I hearing a master or conference officer will determine whether there is sufficient evidence/cause to move forward and schedule a Gagnon II Hearing before a Judge. As the previous answers explain, you could be taken to jail upon completion of the Gagnon II, but each case is different, based upon your overall record, the crime for which you are on probation, and the type of violation. In any case, you should not appear without an attorney. Best of luck.