Skip to main content

I have a hearing coming for trespassing charge. The charges are falst, I was let in the home at this residence after I knocked.

Champlin, MN |

Do I need an attorney for the hearing?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If it is important, then it is important to have a criminal lawyer helping you. A prosecutor will generally accept as true, whatever police have written as a version of the truth. A defense lawyer can help persuade a prosecutor, a judge at a pretrial hearing, or a jury at trial.


Whenever a person has to go to court the best advice is to have an attorney with you. It sounds like you have some defenses, an attorney can help present the defenses to the court and prosecution. if the case goes to trial then you certainly will need an attorney; the early the better when hiring an attorney, so he/she has time to fully prepare.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best of luck to you.

Andrew Leone
Leone Legal, PA
Chanhassen, MN



Think about it this way. How many trials do you think the prosecutor has done? On the other hand, how many have you done? The odds that you are going to be successful at your hearing having significantly less legal experience is very low. You need someone in your corner with the experience to hand,e your case properly.

It sounds from your description that you may have a defense to the charge of trespass. More information would be needed. You can call me at 612-223-7286 to discuss the case further.




Kritine Zajac is a very good fair priced attorney

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


It is not a defense to trespass that you were initially invited in if you failed to leave when asked by the owner/lawful possessor. If there are other defenses a good attorney can help you identify them.


You are charged with a misdemeanor criminal defense. That means your record is at stake in addition to the risk of jail times and fines. Generally, it is unwise to speak to the prosecutor directly. Any statements you make may become evidence that is used on the case. Bu having a spokesperson on your behalf, you are able to filter information as it is provided and prevent it from becoming evidence that can be used at trial. Ultimately, where there is a disputed of facts on a case, it is a matter for a jury to determine credibility at trial.

You should retain EXPERIENCED legal counsel. For a consultation call 612.240.8005.

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer