I have a green card and want to go out of the US for a few months is there any limitation on the time I can be out of the US

Asked about 1 year ago - Lakeland, FL

I need to be Out for more than six months

1. Jose Antonio Moreno

1

Answered . Yes, because of your specific need contact an immigration attorney to do it without adverse effects.

2. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

1

Answered . If your travel is less than six months you should have no issues. If your travel is for six months or more you should obtain a reentry permit before departure.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Keep in mind that, if you leave for more than 6 months, unless you qualify for an N-407, you will lose all the time you have built-up to become a US citizen.

If you don't care about becoming a US citizen, and if you're not abandoning your US residence, you can file for a Re-entry permit.

Meet with a lawyer to make sure your departure won't have horrible long-range impact on your future in the US.