I have a green card; if I get a Oregon medical marijuana card, will this effect my ability to get citizenship? HIPPA rights?

Asked about 1 year ago - Portland, OR

I have seizures, depression, IBS and chronic back pain; I want to try THC muscle creams for the pain but am fearful somehow the federal government will be able to get my name off a list...although this should all be protected under HIPPA...but after what's been going on I don' t know anymore.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . It could. Marijuana possession and use are crimes under Federal Law.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

8

Best Answer

Answered . Theoretically it may. I would abstain for now. Why? Because federal and state law are in contradiction in those jurisdictions where they approved medical marijuana use. Immigraiton is a federal law with a lot of discretion embedded in many determinations. You do not want to play with that. For a citizen it is also a risk but not a big one. For you, use of more than 30 gr of marihuana may create an unsolvable problem. I know that 30 gr you will not have on a one time use, but it is only excused one time. Second time, it is not excused and it does not matter how much you used. Admission of use also counts not just actual conviction. I also understand that only illegal possession counts but it is still illegal everywhere under Federal law even if it is legal in OR.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . This is not a good idea.

You talk about Australia but don't tell us your citizenship.