I have a girl who is pregnant but when the baby born she won't allow me to see him what should I do

Asked over 1 year ago - Henderson, NV

She 5 months so what should I do

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

6

8

Answered . Are you sure the child is yours? If so you have rights and need to act within the proscribed period of time in NV to protect them. I urge you to contact a local family law attorney to explore your options. If you are the Father and want to assume responsibility, you should be able to see the child. Best of Luck to you.

2. Jill K. Whitbeck

Pro

1

Answered . File a petition to establish paternity & custody NOW. The system can take a while to get through, so filing now will help you have court orders in place when the child is born. This speeds up getting a paternity test done, so if the child is yours, it also speeds up being granted custody/visitation rights. This is the only way you will get enforceable court orders. If you do nothing, the mother of the child has complete control over your access to the child, including denying you access.

3. Anthony M. Wright

1

Answered . Beware that if she has the baby in another State, Nevada will not have jurisdiction over paternity or custody--unless she moves back to Nevada. Nevada has no power while she is pregnant to do anything (the case is not ripe, so to speak) and filing with the court now could result in a dismissal. All she has to do is have the child in California or Utah or Arizona or anywhere else, and the child custody and paternity action will have to be filed in that State because it will be the home state of the child. You may be throwing away money and effort if you file prior to the birth. You need to keep tabs on where she is so that you can be ready to file immediately. And yes, you want to establish paternity so that you are either paying child support and avoiding the accumulation of arrears (which can go back 4 years and include the costs associated with birth) or so that you can be assured the child is not yours and you owe no duty of support.