I have a friend who was charged with class D felony- Leaving scene of accident- death. He is trying to make The merit board.

Asked 12 months ago - Fishkill, NY

The requirements of the merits is 1) earn a general equivalency diploma (GED), or
2) receive an alcohol and substance abuse treatment certificate, 3) or
receive a vocational trade certificate following at least six months of programming in that program, 4) or
perform 400 hours or more of service as part of a community work crew/outside assignment......
Which he doesnt qualify for the GED because he has a college degree, but for the 2 and 3 they said there is no room and they are also making it hard for him to do the 4th, which i dont completely understand. What can he do, does he have anyother options. What can he do??

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . Sadly, most parole cases involving death stay until the CR date.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Marco Caviglia

Pro

Answered . I assume that there may be the implication of DWI when the death occurred. DWI sentences are amont the hardest to get any consideration for, especially with a death, because of the political climate today which permeates parole boards, etc.