I have a friend who was charged with class D felony- Leaving scene of accident- death. He is trying to make The merit board.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fishkill, NY

The requirements of the merits is 1) earn a general equivalency diploma (GED), or
2) receive an alcohol and substance abuse treatment certificate, 3) or
receive a vocational trade certificate following at least six months of programming in that program, 4) or
perform 400 hours or more of service as part of a community work crew/outside assignment......
Which he doesnt qualify for the GED because he has a college degree, but for the 2 and 3 they said there is no room and they are also making it hard for him to do the 4th, which i dont completely understand. What can he do, does he have anyother options. What can he do??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sadly, most parole cases involving death stay until the CR date.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
  2. Answered . I assume that there may be the implication of DWI when the death occurred. DWI sentences are amont the hardest to get any consideration for, especially with a death, because of the political climate today which permeates parole boards, etc.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,779 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,779 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering