I have a friend who had gambled in Vegas last year and owe them around USD 1.6m. Will the casino sue him as he lives in Asia?

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

He used markers to play and loss. How far will a casino go to get this $ back as he is in Asia? He is worried and not sure what to do and hence requesting me to post this query.

1. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . Ignore the out of state attorneys, and read the papers.

For that much, they will sue someone on the moon, or even Pluto.

Not only will they sue them, but they will deposit the marker, and turn it over to the DA, who will initiate criminal proceedings, which will effect his ability to get future visas.

He needs competent Nevada counsel *NOW*.

2. Raphael Samuel Moore

3

Answered . The fact he is in another jurisdiction, doesn't make him immune from being sued. Just as with any other debt, the business will decide if it is worthwhile pursuing considering the costs and likelihood of recovery.

3. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

2

Answered . I suspect that they will do anything and everything they can to get this back. This may mean hiring counsel in your friend's backyard to sue him there if necessary.

That said, if your friend has no money or assets to pay, there is little that can be done. It may, for example, force him to file a bankruptcy, etc. But this depends on the laws where he lives.

He should consult a local lawyer as well as a Vegas lawyer to discuss his options and get a risk assessment.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

4. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, for 1.6 million in markers, the casino almost certainly will go after him in his home jurisdiction, unless he settles his debts.

5. Robert V Cornish Jr.

1

Answered . Just an FYI - they can sue him in the US and serve him overseas through what is called Hague Convention service. What that means is your friend in Asia might not have a lot of time to answer once he receives the complaint, which is usually served by local law enforcement. Depending on where he lives, this also bears risks as you can well imagine.

Tell your friend it's time to lawyer up and face the music. Coming up with a payment plan before the wheels start turning is imperative.