I have a friend that has lived w a man for 21 yr. If she leaves is she entitled to 1/2 of the house and what other things would

Paris, IL |

House car truck household items standard of living retirement

1. If they aren't married, she is not entitled to a division of assets that a wife is entitled to. Absent some other agreement or proof that she paid for the truck, house, etc., she gets nothing.

2. Nothing in your question indicated that the parties were married, therefore, there is no division of assets.

Communication with an attorney does not by itself create an attorney/client relationship or constitute provision or receipt of legal advice. Any communication with an attorney should be considered informational use only, and should not be relied upon or acted upon until a formal attorney/client relationship is established via a written agreement.

3. Your "friend" is entitled to all of the property that your "friend" owns. Beyond that, your "friend" can expect nothing. No "standard of living," no retirement, no car, no truck, no household items, no nothing.

It probably would have been better for her had they married.

4. She is entitled to her property only. If she and the man purchased things together, they have to divide them in the same way that two people who were not romantically involved would divide them. If the asset is one with a formal title, such as a house or car, the presumption will be that it is owned by the person who is named on the title as the owner. If they are both on the title, they are both the owners. Because they were not married, she is not entitled to receive anything that is in his name alone, including his retirement plan benefits.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois and have an office in Kane County. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you this answer helpful.