I have a friend that has a child tha he pays child support he has been paying the past 15 months but he owes back child support

Asked almost 2 years ago - Gaffney, SC

They took his taxes last year would that be a reason the court to not give him visitation to his child?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am sorry your friend is going through this. Support and parenting time are two separate issues. It sounds as if the support issue is being handled. There must be something else going on that is preventing his parenting time. I suggest he address that particular issue. If your friend is unable to get information, I suggest he contact a local attorney to explore his options. Good Luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As a general rule, child support arrears are not considered when determining parenting time.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more
  3. Lisa Douglas

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague, in that child support is generally not tied to visitation or parenting time. I can't tell from your question if the court is with holding this or you are just asking the question because he has been denied it by the mother. If he does not have a court order establishing visitation, he needs to get one. His arrearage should not prevent him from exercising his visits.

    I am only licensed in Arkansas. No part of this answer should be construed as creating an attorney client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,469 answers this week

3,218 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,469 answers this week

3,218 attorneys answering