I have a four year old son at daycare/pre-school. He was punched in the face, unprovoked by his classmate. He was scratched a

Asked 12 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

week later on the neck by that same boy. I understand that these things happen, but spoke with his teacher about it and she assured me she has it taken care of. After our discussion, my son received more scratch marks on his face and the following day, on the back of his neck from the same boy. It was brought to an administrators attention by my ex-wife, but the injuries continue weekly and by the same person. I was going to speak with the teacher one last time and perhaps the principal or top administrator. I have been photgraphing each incident, totaling seven now above minor scratches. Is there any additional recourse if the school decides not to protect my child? I share custody and daycare is at my ex's work, which is a children's hospital. Want to ensure this stops.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Golnar Sargeant

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I would seriously consider a new day care. You can report them to the State Licensing authority for day cares: http://ccld.ca.gov/PG487.htm

    You can hire a lawyer and see if that makes them pay attention. I don't know how serious the scratches are. The problem with kids this age is that often their rendition of events is unreliable in the legal sense. I certainly wouldn't let my kid go back.

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,229 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,229 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering