I have a first time court date in the morning. What if I decide I want an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Discovery Bay, CA

1st time offense , possession of small amount of met

1. Hazel-Lynne Ocampo Espejo

3

Answered . You can request the public defender be appointed if you qualify, or You can request a continuance on your arraignment and the judge should give you a new court date. You would just tell the judge you want to hire a private attorney.

2. George L. Aldrich

3

Answered . Tell the judge you would like to continue your hearing to hire an attorney. The judge should give you a couple of weeks to retain an attorney to represent you.

3. Seth Andrew Weinstein

2

1

Answered . Most Judges will allow you a three to four week continuance to hire an attorney. You may also ask for the Public Defender and they will have you fill out a form to see if you qualify.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com