I have a first time court date in the morning. What if I decide I want an attorney?

Discovery Bay, CA |

1st time offense , possession of small amount of met

1. You can request the public defender be appointed if you qualify, or You can request a continuance on your arraignment and the judge should give you a new court date. You would just tell the judge you want to hire a private attorney.

The fact that I have answered this question does not establish an attorney client relationship between the questioner and my self or my office. For a FREE consultation, contact me at (626) 600-1439.

2. Most Judges will allow you a three to four week continuance to hire an attorney. You may also ask for the Public Defender and they will have you fill out a form to see if you qualify.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

3. Tell the judge you would like to continue your hearing to hire an attorney. The judge should give you a couple of weeks to retain an attorney to represent you.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.