I have a first time court date in the morning. What if I decide I want an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Discovery Bay, CA

1st time offense , possession of small amount of met

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Hazel-Lynne Ocampo Espejo

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can request the public defender be appointed if you qualify, or You can request a continuance on your arraignment and the judge should give you a new court date. You would just tell the judge you want to hire a private attorney.

    The fact that I have answered this question does not establish an attorney client relationship between the... more
  2. George L. Aldrich

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Tell the judge you would like to continue your hearing to hire an attorney. The judge should give you a couple of weeks to retain an attorney to represent you.

    Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide... more
  3. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Most Judges will allow you a three to four week continuance to hire an attorney. You may also ask for the Public Defender and they will have you fill out a form to see if you qualify.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,122 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,122 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering