I have a felony conviction for Arson IV. If I get it pardoned in ohio and apply for nursing jobs do i have to disclose it?

Cincinnati, OH |

I am not eligable for expungement because its a violent crime. Otherwise I could. I have already been censured by the ohio board of nursing and am allowed to keep my license with provisions. When applying to hospitals, will I have to disclose the pardoned offense?

I suggest contacting an attorney sometime towards the end of September. Senate Bill 337 which goes into effect September 25th, 2012 (some believe the effective date is September 28th, 2012) makes some things that were previously not able to be sealed/expunged now eligible. The bill is very complicated and it takes a good attorney to understand it and know what is going on with it. The Ohio Public Defender has created a new program that deals with civil impact on criminal convictions. The attorney can check that site to see if you are eligible for a repreve from the impact on your nursing license. I know this does not directly answer your question of if you have to disclose it or not to employers but will lead you to a long term better answer. Hire an attorney in your area who can look into all of this. Good luck.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Because it is a violent offense I am omitted from partaking in the benefits of this bill. It is my first offense. Life is very bleak for a felon even after my "debt to society" has been paid.

Yes. But you can say it was pardoned.

http://defendme.net | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

Yes. Pardons don't seal the record or "undo" the conviction. They only excuse the punishment. The offense will still be on your record. That being said, you should still consult an attorney to discuss the particular circumstances of your case.

A response to a question on Avvo is NOT legal advice. These answers are provided for general informational purposes ONLY. Thomas Haren is not your attorney until you have signed a retainer agreement with his firm and paid a fee. Questions posted on Avvo normally provide very limited information, and thus a more detailed, private conversation is needed before any answers should be relied upon. DO NOT POST CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION ON AVVO.