I have a felony conviction for Arson IV. If I get it pardoned in ohio and apply for nursing jobs do i have to disclose it?

Asked about 2 years ago - Cincinnati, OH

I am not eligable for expungement because its a violent crime. Otherwise I could. I have already been censured by the ohio board of nursing and am allowed to keep my license with provisions. When applying to hospitals, will I have to disclose the pardoned offense?

1. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I suggest contacting an attorney sometime towards the end of September. Senate Bill 337 which goes into effect September 25th, 2012 (some believe the effective date is September 28th, 2012) makes some things that were previously not able to be sealed/expunged now eligible. The bill is very complicated and it takes a good attorney to understand it and know what is going on with it. The Ohio Public Defender has created a new program that deals with civil impact on criminal convictions. The attorney can check that site to see if you are eligible for a repreve from the impact on your nursing license. I know this does not directly answer your question of if you have to disclose it or not to employers but will lead you to a long term better answer. Hire an attorney in your area who can look into all of this. Good luck.

2. Thomas Gregory Haren

Pro

1

1

Answered . Yes. Pardons don't seal the record or "undo" the conviction. They only excuse the punishment. The offense will still be on your record. That being said, you should still consult an attorney to discuss the particular circumstances of your case.

3. James Regan

Pro

1

Answered . Yes. But you can say it was pardoned.