I have a felony bench warrant in Orange County for receiving stolen property and it says book only. I don't know what that means

San Diego, CA |

Am I going to be taken into jail and charged for this crime? I don't get it. I also have a warrant for a misdemeanor DUI in San Diego. Do I need to take care of the Orange County warrant first and do I need to show up for either warrant? Thanks.

1. To book means to go to the arresting agency (ie police or sheriff's department) and get fingerprinted. It should take a couple of hours, then you'll be released. It doesn't mean anything else. When your fingerprinted it may come up for a hit in San Diego. Get an attorney to recall the warrant in San Diego.

2. If it is for a felony probation violation, those are typically no bail - as in you cannot be bailed out and it's "book only". If you get booked in either location, the other county will put a hold on you and send you to the second county once the first is done.

Instead, if Orange County is a felony, you may want to get an attorney with you in OC, as well as one ready in San Diego. If you are in custody in OC (if....), then the attorney in SD can potentially request that your time there (if there is any) be served concurrently and in OC so you're not doing double time and losing time during transport, etc.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

3. My colleagues are correct. The bench warrant may be a no bail warrant if it was issued post-conviction or post-guilty plea. Regardless, you need some help, so contact some attorneys. Many of us on Avvo provide a free consultation.

4. I generally agree with Mr. Dane, except that I think it would be to your benefit to hire an attorney who travels to both OC and San Diego, and have the same attorney handle both matters for you. It may be to your benefit to have one case handled first and it will take attorney review to know how to best proceed. The SD warrant can likely be recalled without your personal appearance, but you will need to be present on the OC felony. Some of us don't mind traveling down to America's Finest City every once in a while. Call around and speak to some Southern California attorneys about your cases in better detail and decide how to proceed. Good luck!

5. You will likely need to personally appear in Orange County, preferably with a quality (locally experienced) criminal defense attorney by your side.

The San Diego matter may be able to be addressed without you having to be personally present in court so long as the defense attorney you hire (preferably one experienced in that courthouse) appears on your behalf.