I have a felony and wish to get my rights back. It's also over 10 years old and would like to seal/expunge it if possible?

Seattle, WA |

A friend of mine died in a car accident with me and I was sent to prison for vehicular homicide by recklessness in the mid 90s. I can vote, but I need to get my right to have a gun back as I'd like to go hunting this Fall. Next, I also want to be able to travel to Canada and I think there are some papers to complete for this. Finally, if possible, I'd like to seal/expunge this record since the conviction was October 1996 and I have no further felonies. I'm not sure if there is anything else to take care of, but I'd like to do it all at once if possible.

1. These are all seperate issues. You cannot deal with them all at once/together.

As a convicted felon, I do not believe you may ever possess a gun again, period. I do not, however, deal with this issue regularly. So, I suggest you consult with a local, experienced criminal defense attorney on this issue.

As for Canada, you are a convicted felon and, thus, are inadmissible. Whether Canada would consider you rehabilitated is another issue entirely. You can apply for rehabilitation if more than 5 years have passed since the offense. So, you may apply for rehabilitation. You can find more information on rehabilitation at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp. Be aware that, if you are inadmissible for entry into Canada and you cross the border, you are committing a felony in Canada.

Whether you can expunge your conviction is another question for a local, experienced criminal defense attorney. Most initial consultations are free. So, you have nothing to lose! Perhaps, if you can expunge the felony, you can possess a firearm again.

Good luck!

2. Because Vehicular Homicide is a “violent offense” you will not be able to vacate or seal the conviction or expunge the arrest record. See RCW 9.94A.640 & RCW 9.94A.030.

Civil rights topics