I HAVE A FEDERAL TAX LIEN AND ALSO THE STATE LEVY MY BACK ACCOUNT ABOUT 3 OR 4 TIMES A YEAR FOR OWED TAXES.. IF I GET MARRIED WI

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hampstead, NC

I HAVE A FEDERAL TAX LIEN AND ALSO THE STATE LEVY MY BACK ACCOUNT ABOUT 3 OR 4 TIMES A YEAR FOR OWED TAXES.. IF I GET MARRIED WILL THEY BE ABLE TO TAKE HER PROPERTY OR MONEY AND WILL SHE BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEBUT

1. Evan A Nielsen

1

Answered . You'll want to be careful - If you mingle your funds there's a good chance both of your assets may be subject to the debts. You can keep your assets separate but that's not a very "unifying" way to live. Best to establish some type of payment arrangement with the state and the IRS - that way you can eliminate the issue alltogether.

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

1

Answered . First, your liabilities will not be attached to your wife when you get married. On the other hand, if you have Federal Tax Liens and State Tax judgments, it will attach to any property you acquire. Therefore, if you purchase a home jointly with your wife, your lien will attach.

The second issue is tax refunds. If you file married filing jointly, the IRS will take the entire refund, even the portion due to your wife's income. She could apply for Innocent Spouse relief, but this is cumbersome and frequently not successful.

Please discuss this with a good tax lawyer to plan your financial matters.

Congratulations on your impending wedding.

Ron Cappuccio
    www.TaxEsq.com

3. Jonathan Paul Decatorsmith

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys - your spouse will not be liable for your separate tax debts, though the government can seize JOINT assets, like bank accounts and future tax refunds, to satisfy your liabilities.