I have a f1 visa but I did not go to the school at all, but I am getting married can I have a permanent stay with that?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Durham, NC

From Nigeria 24 years and I have being in the states for 9 months now! I spoke to am immigration lawyer and she said it's not possible cause I didn't go to the school that they would deny my application of adjustment of status..... how can I go about this? Cause she said I lied that I was going to school but i didn't go, and that would be asked me during my interview, am scared and what and how can I do about this?

1. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

2

Answered . You can certainly apply for permanent residency through marriage. You will have to explain why you did not go to school, if the officer determines you committed fraud you will need a waiver and can also have your application denied and sent to an immigration judge. Get help from an immigration attorney.

2. Lisa R. Brenman

Pro

Answered . Your chance of success (permanent residence) depends upon your specific facts. The interviewing immigration officer will ask of you attended school and if you will have to explain this in detail. Your marriage will also be analyzed carefully and the officer will determine if they believe it is genuine or fraudulent. You may wish to obtain a second legal opinion so you fully understand your options.

3. Nicklaus James Misiti

1

Answered . It sounds like you committed fraud and will have issues with that. Hire an immigration attorney to see what can be done. It is not a simple process and may not be possible.

4. Philip Alan Eichorn

1

Answered . This is more information than you previously posted and I encourage you to retain a lawyer, fully disclose everything so that you and your spouse can have an accurate assessment of your situation.

5. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Depends on wether you are marrying a US citizen or not.