I have a employment question. Does a public school have a right to bar a person from school only because they filed an EEOC.

Tobyhanna, PA |

I live in a small rural area in Northeast Pennsylvania. 2 years ago, I worked for a charter school when I was discriminated against for being older and more experienced (skipped over for promotion to supervisor that was given to a girl who I had trained the previous year when she began her first year teaching). I filed an EEOC with the federal and that is pending. I was then fired or "not renewed". I currently work as a behavior special consultant and one of my clients is a student in the charter school. Today, they called my work and told them that I was "not welcome in their school". I have a legitimate reason to be in the school and it is a public school. This will cause me a loss of more than $75.00 per week as I must lose all of my hours in connection with the client.

The issues raised here are worth a personal consultation with a local employment attorney. Most likely, the school can lawfully bar you from the premises, but it is possible that vigorous advocacy could make the school antsy about pressing that right.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Thank you Christine. I have updated EEOC with this and they are adding it as a new complaint of retribution against the school. I will also check what support I can get from some local and state officials on this. This school has already had their charter revoked due to a state auditor's report of misappropriation of funds and the founder is fighting jail time for tax evasion. I don't think I'll have a problem finding vigorous advocacy :) thank you so much.