I have a Dwai on my record (nov2011) and recently was arrested (march 2013) for another dwi charge, would this become a felony?

Asked about 1 year ago - Peekskill, NY

I am curious what penalties I will be facing and if I would be eligible for a hardship license. Also, do you think it would be possible for me to represent myself in this case as I don't have the means to afford a lawyer. In addition I just received my degree in Public accounting and I am concerned that I won't be able to obtain CPA licensing in ny. This time around I had a BAC of .13 and was pulled over for speeding I had someone in the car that could have drove but they still arrested me. I am located in Westchester county and would appreciate if anyone could shed light on my situation. Thanks.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Best Answer

Answered . If your prior was an impaired then this is a misdemeanor not a felony. However, the prior will show up on your RAP sheet so the DA will consider it. I suggest you hire a very good criminal defense lawyer who knows how to handle a DWI case.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

3

1

Answered . Ok...it's a misdemeanor and not a felony. You cannot get a Cond License if you took the DDP.
    You should not represent yourself as your degree did not include instruction on this kind of law.
    Ask the court to appoint a lawyer if you can't afford one.
    You can become a CPA, even with a misdemeanor which is the likely result of this case due to the prior.
    Good Luck!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Christopher Irvin Simser

1

Answered . The information provided by my colleagues is correct.

I would emphasize that this is a matter for an experienced defense attorney familiar with DWI. You face possible jail and Probation, revocation of your driver's license for a significant period of time, and fines and surcharges.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    269 West Jefferson Street, 2nd Floor
    Syracuse, NY 13202
    1-800-DWI-TEAM

One or more answers have been taken down.