Skip to main content

I have a durable power of attorney. My father is in an assisted living facility with dementia. A state agency has been appointed

Boise, ID |

as his guardian. Can my power of attorney be revoked by the courts?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Yes-that would be what happens in most states.
    The power of attorney is usually used to prevent the guardianship from happening.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  2. If your "durable power of attorney" is a health care proxy (rather than a general or special power of attorney of any type) then the guardianship would supersede the POA.

    Best wishes for a favorable result, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics