Skip to main content

I have a dui that i have to go to court for what could be the outcome??

Lawrenceville, GA |

I am currently on probation and would like to be sentence to something else than jail time. Is there any way possible??

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Did you get the DUI after you were sentenced to probation? When is your court date?

  2. Any misdemeanor such as a DUI COULD mean 12 months in jail, but that isn't likely unless this is a very bad case or you have a very bad criminal history. Since you are on probation, you really need to speak with an attorney to try to avoid being revoked and sent to jail for an extended period of time. Speak with some of the very good and experienced DUI attorneys we have here in Lawrenceville if that is where your case is.

  3. I am sorry to hear about your problem. You can have a local criminal defense lawyer investigate the situation. Avvo has an excellent "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated attorney near you who offers a free consultation.

    Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at

  4. Possibly. There are going to be several timing issues involved in this matter. You should speak with a local attorney to see what can be done to avoid jail time in the DUI case, and how to avoid a possible probation revocation.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

  5. Under your circumstances, it is in your best interest to retain an attorney in this matter. You should receive the best favorable outcome with an attorney.

  6. Whether or not you go to jail depends on your record and the strength of the DUI case. No doubt, your probation officer will revoke you so you need the help of an experienced DUI attorney. There are several in Lawrenceville who can help you. Good luck.

  7. First - DUI - Whether or not you are sentenced to jail depends on a multitude of factors in the DUI case. There are really to many to go into in this type of forum, but here are a few, the # of DUI's you have had, the specific facts surrounding the DUI, if there was an accident involved, if there were children also in the vehicle, if anyone was injured as a result of your driving, etc.. You need to get an experienced DUI/Criminal Defense attorney to represent you on the DUI charge.
    Second - Probation Revocation - if you received the DUI charge BEFORE you were placed on probation you should be OK. If you received the DUI charge AFTER you were placed on probation you probation officer will seek to have your remaining probation REVOKED. This means that you could be sent to jail for the remaining amount of time that you have on probation. You really need to hire a lawyer to represent you - ASAP!!! I hope this information helps you.
    Good Luck!!! George McCranie

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics