I have a DUI case in August and I want to know in case of DUI in my record can I apply for citizen , I have my green card 5years

I have a clean background no criminal record! What is the chance to be approved for citizen

Schaumburg, IL -

Daniel Warren Thomann

Daniel Warren Thomann

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

I'm a little unclear about the timing of the DUI - were you recently arrested and have court in August or did you have the case last August? The approval of a naturalization (citizenship) application depends on several factors, including that you have good moral character and not be convicted of certain crimes for the 5 years before you apply. When it comes to crimes, some of them require that your application be denied. Others may not require denial, but will still result in denial, because the USCIS officer adjudicating your case can decide in his/her discretion that the crime is a sign that you do not have good moral character.

You should consult an attorney directly to go over the details of the DUI and your application as a whole - but as a general rule, I think it's unlikely that you would be approved if you still have a pending case, or if you are still on probation when you apply. Good luck!

Karen-Lee Pollak

Karen-Lee Pollak

Immigration Attorney - Dallas, TX

As long as this is your only offense you should be fine

Alexus Paul Sham

Alexus Paul Sham

Immigration Attorney - The Woodlands, TX

As long as this is your only offense and the Illinois statute does not allow for this charge to be a felony, you should be okay. It is best to consult an immigration attorney with criminal law experience in Illinois.

Ethan Patrick Meaney

Ethan Patrick Meaney

DUI / DWI Attorney - Minneapolis, MN

You should talk with an immigration attorney in your area. If you want to consult one here on AVVO select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

Khaja M. Din

Khaja M. Din

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

It depends on the DUI as well as the outcome. Consult an immigration attorney before making the decision to file.

Best,

Khaja M. Din, Esq.

Din Law, LLC
(312) 361-8462
www.DinLaw.com

Free Initial Consult For All Your Immigration Questions

Vijay Ratan Sharma

Vijay Ratan Sharma

DUI / DWI Attorney - Skokie, IL

Immigration laws are still getting tougher and tougher, authorities don't look kindly on "crimes involving moral turpitude." Historically DUIs haven't fallen under this.
Under their logic, crimes involving moral turpitude are those that reveal a person's character. Such as drug use/abuse, prostitution, and theft. These can show a guilty mind whereas DUIs do not Since they have no intent component.

For example, a theft case requires that a person INTEND to take, and permanently deprive someone of something of value(simplified).

While a Speeding ticket only requires that the person was or was not speeding, how fast the person INTENDED to go is irrelevant.

Similarly, a DUI requires that a person was or was not intoxicated to the point of impairment at the time of driving.

So can a person can become a citizen with a DUI in their background? Perhaps, depends on the case and a person's background. The more severe a case, the more likely the person will never make it to citizenship status because they will have been deported long before that

You should see an immigration attorney though, Asking on here isn't enough. Go to an immigration lawyer, speak to them now, plan your future. Otherwise you're going to be worried about this for the next five years, and I'm sure you have better things to attend to.