Skip to main content

I have a doctors note that excuses me from court due to pregnancy will a warrant be issued if I don't show up to court?

Aurora, CO |

It is a domestic violence case and I have been subpoena

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Bring the subpoena and the note to court -- you don't have the choice to ignore the subpoena. You can also call the entity that issued the subpoena to see if they can give you a break on attendance!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


I agree with Mr. Deasy. Contact the side that issued you the subpoena and fax them a copy of the subpoena and see if they will either continue the case or excuse you from the subpoena. Otherwise, you MUST appear in court with the doctor's note and then it is solely up to the judge to decide whether to release you from the subpoena or not. Best of luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


Contact the DA's or Solicitor's Office and make sure they get a copy of the paperwork. They may give you a pass on the Court date. Without speaking with them prior to the date, you have to be there. The Court is within its discretion to issue a warrant for your arrest if asked for by the DA or Solicitor on the case. In my experience, they are usually quite accommodating.


Your doctor cannot excuse you from showing up in court if you have been properly served with a subpoena. Only the party who subpoenaed you or the judge can excuse you. This answer is provided as general information about a legal issue, is not legal advice specific to a particular case, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the person asking the question.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer