Skip to main content

I have a dismissed misdemeanor charge for marijuana back in 1999, will this affect me from becoming a medical assistant?

Audubon, NJ |
Filed under: Misdemeanor crime

Clean record with this one exception.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. It could. You should have it expunged. Call me and we can se it up.

    Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

  2. You should expunge the records from this event now. Feel free to call on my office.

  3. You should have the arrest expunged.

  4. I agree with my colleagues, you should expunge the record. But this may not help since most licensing boards require full disclosure. You need to review the application rules. My guess is that a dismissed charge from that long ago will not be much of a problem and can be explained if it comes up. Call with more information.

  5. You should consult an attorney and have your record expunged. Even though the charge was dismissed, the record of the arrest still exists. Under N.J.S.A. 2C:52-6, you may at any time following the dismissal of a charge expunge the record of the arrest and all records and information pertaining to the arrest. Expungements take time to process so its best to get started on the process asap. Please call us if you have any questions.

    It should be understood that even though I am answering your question, no attorney-client relationship exists between us. It should be further understood that while I am doing my best to answer your question based upon the information you provided, I do not have the complete facts and my answer might well be different, if I had more complete information. For these reasons, it is always best to consult either in person or by telephone with a lawyer and discuss your issues in detail.

  6. You need to have your record expunged. My office would be happy to help you. You can also call the licensing board for your field and find out if it is a bar to obtaining a license, or a bar to being admitted to school. Regardless, there is no reason for you to have that on your record after all this time and an expungement would be your best bet.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics