I have a different last name on my birth certificate than my social security card,

Asked over 1 year ago - Geneseo, NY

My mom changed my name some how at some point and i have no clue when or where? I cant get a id or license, my father has passed and cant find my mother what can i do to get my last name changed so its the same on my birth certificate and social security card...i was born in NY....

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

Answered . You can file for a name change in a court proceeding. You will need some documentation to connect your old and new names. How about school or employment records?

2. David J. McCormick

Answered . It appears that you need to go to court to formally change your name. Contact your local county courthouse and see what the legalities are for a New York name change.