I have a detective calling me threatning to issue a warrant for theft saying he is done messing with me

i have never even been contacted till this week and he spoke with my mom not me so what do i do i do not want a warrant

Osage Beach, MO -

Attorney Answers (3)

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saint Louis, MO

DO NOT TALK TO HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIre an attorney immediately OR apply for a public defender attorney NOW.

It could be that the detective does not have enough evidence and needs you to create more by talking to him/her. The detective could be bluffing. Even if the detective is not bluffing, some time in jail while waiting to pay a bondsman is better than having a criminal conviction and serving a jail term or prison term.

NEVER describe your facts in an online forum. I have CONFIRMED there is at least ONE county prosecutor that is a... more
Joshua Sachs

Joshua Sachs

Criminal Defense Attorney - Evanston, IL

Mr. Caldwell is right. It is very common when the police do not have enough evidence to bring a charge to try to arrange a meeting "to hear your side of the story," in the hope of getting the missing pieces out of your mouth. They know what they want and you are moving blind. Do not discuss this matter with the police. Retain an attorney to represent you. In the best situation the lawyer may be able to prevent a charge from being brought.

Don't get spooked by this "warrant" talk. If it happens, it happens. Mr. Caldwell is right again. Taking a warrant and sitting in jail until you bond out is better than taking a criminal conviction. Another advantage of having a lawyer is that the lawyer may be able to negotiate an agreement whereby bond would be set in advance and you could surrender on the warrant bond out immediately.

C. Curran Coulter

C. Curran Coulter

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Saint Louis, MO

I would avoid talking to him until you talk to an attorney. He may be fishing for additional information. The attorney will be able to hear the details of the situation and advise you accordingly.

Good luck!

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.